That’s right! It’s true! The Littlefield Group along with yours truly Jeff Klotz will be out at the Urbana Sweetcorn Festival this weekend, on Friday afternoon August 24 from 3-6pm. Having grown up in Urbana, I have certainly attended the sweetcorn festival in years past. This however will be the first time I’ve volunteered to volunteer for it. My pay I’m hoping will be all of the sweetcorn I can eat!!
I thought it might be important to learn a bit more about the festival since we will be helping. “The first Urbana Sweetcorn Festival was held in August 1975 in the parking lot at Main & Race Streets in downtown Urbana. It was a community event put on by the employees of the local business Busey Bank” according to the website. “The Urbana Business Association is now responsible for the planning of the festival, over the years adding a local car show, an expanded family area, live music on multiple stages, food, vendors, and beer all in the heart of downtown Urbana.” The website goes on to give great “Festival Facts”.
- LOCAL SWEET CORN. LOCAL FOOD. LOCAL ENTERTAINMENT. LOCAL VENDORS.
- Around 20,000 ears of sweet corn are consumed each year at the festival.
- We get the corn from a nearby Illinois farm (Maddox Farms), so our corn is fresh, local, and delicious!
- We use an antique steam engine to cook the corn.
- The festival promotes green efforts by offering recycling receptacles throughout the festival, and we compost our corncobs!
The Urbana Sweetcorn festival website also answers a number of good questions you may have about the weekend. So stop by the sweetcorn tent for plenty of fresh, local sweetcorn! I can’t wait to see you out there!